Traditional Technology VS Big Data Technology
- Traditional technology uses storage technologies, like SAN (Storage area over network like share drive), whereas big data technology uses distributed data with data redundancy.
- Traditional technology uses highly parallel processors on a single machine, whereas big data technology uses distributed processing with multiple machines.
- Traditional technology has a limit on scalability, whereas big data technology is highly scalable.
What is Scalability
Scalability is the ability of a program to scale. For example, if you can do something on a small database (say less than 1000 records), a program that is highly scalable would work well on a small set as well as working well on a large set (say millions, or billions of records).
Characteristics of Big Data Technology
- Big data technologies can process high volume of data
- It can response the high velocity of data
- It can process all kind of data, which can be un-structure or semi-structure.
- It can handle node failure
- It can analyse high variety of data.